This is a question I am often asked.
The truth is that there are many ways.
Whatever you choose, you need to position your business in front of your target clients and offer a unique solution to their current problem.
In other words, identify your ideal clients, and then use a specific marketing strategy to make yourself known (obscurity is often the biggest problem).
While there are innumerable ways to build your freelance blogging business, here are 50 suggestions to market your services:
1. Send postcards to a targeted mailing list of customers.
2. Advertise in the yellow pages.
3. Advertise on the local radio, or give interviews.
4. Offer your writing service as a prize in a local fundraiser (great publicity).
5. Buy advertising space in a local newspaper.
6. Buy advertising space in a trade journal or magazine.
7. Create inserts that can be sent out with your local newspaper.
8. Send a letter to previous clients to regain their business.
9. Create stickers and magnets that can be given away to local businesses.
10. Create a branded t-shirt that can be given away.
11. Create a branded coffee mug that can be sent to local businesses.
12. Become a sponsor for a local sports team or event.
13. Have a branded sticker added your car.
14. Hold an event and ask the local media to interview you.
15. Find local businesses to partner with (to cross promote services).
16. Join your local chamber of commerce.
17. Create a short elevator pitch.
18. Introduce yourself to other local business owners.
19. Attend relevant trade shows in your market.
20. Find local editors and journalists in your area.
21. Ask for referrals from local businesses, family and friends.
22. Hand out business cards to people you meet.
23. Update your blog regularly with useful content (for your clients).
24. Email past clients with offers, updates and useful information.
25. Host a Google Plus Hangout.
26. Write a press release on a new service or event.
27. Create a webinar or teleconference.
28. Create guest blog posts on relevant websites.
29. Reply to any comments that are directed at you.
30. Follow up with all emails in a timely manner.
31. Join online communities and share your knowledge.
32. Use Google to brand yourself online (via Google Plus Authorship)
33. Create a “hire me” page on your blog.
34. Place ads on relevant high-traffic blogs.
35. Advertise on Google Adwords.
36. Advertise on Facebook.
37. Comment on blog posts where your target clients congregate.
38. Create a YouTube channel.
39. Use Google Analytics to track your blog traffic.
40. Make your avatar and branding image consistent on all accounts.
41. Create a free report that can be given away to potential clients.
42. Use free tools & WordPress plugins to help with SEO.
Social Media Marketing
43. Create a LinkedIn account.
44. Create a Twitter profile and update it regularly.
45. Create a Facebook fan page for your writing business.
46. Create a Google Plus business page.
47. Connect with other local businesses on social media.
48. Add your business to Google Places.
49. Create a business blog.
50. Write blog posts regularly.
What else have you done to build your freelance blogging business? Leave your comments below.