This is a great way to supplement your online income, providing you do it the right way.
Note: You will damage your reputation (your greatest asset as a freelance writer and blogger) if you promote sub-standard products. My suggestion is as follows: never promote a product unless you have personally used it and would be proud to have your name associated with it.
With that said, here is a process that will ramp up affiliate sales on your blog:
Affiliate Product + Unique Bonus + Presell Page = Success
The formula above is best approach to take. Even if you have a list of subscribers, you should always provide them with more value (for being a subscriber) by creating a bonus product, instead of simply promoting an affiliate product.
Besides this, a presell page is one of the most effective ways to sell more products as a vendor or as an affiliate. This post will focus on how to do this as an affiliate.
The Presell Process of Adding Value
The basic idea is to promote the affiliate product by enhancing its current value. This means the customer gets a great deal (better than can be found anywhere else) when they buy via your affiliate link.
This is done by having your own UNIQUE BONUS (key distinction). You must add value to the affiliate product by creating a valuable bonus, which you send to buyers once they have ordered via your affiliate link.
Step 1: Find A Quality Product That’s Selling
- Think of products that you use on a regular basis (that your blog readers would benefit from).
- Choose products that you can write about easily (and answer questions on).
- Choose evergreen products (these generate recurring revenues).
- Decide if can add value to this promotion (can you add expert knowledge, a video, an audio, or a report?)
Step 2: Create A Relevant Bonus Product
- You must add value to the product.
- Create a screen capture video explaining how best to use the product.
- Create a report that gives a step-by-step breakdown of the product’s features.
- Create a quick start guide (many people are overwhelmed when they buy a new program).
- Offer a 1 hour Q&A session.
- Offer to setup or configure the software (if the product was a software product).
- Add something that was left out in the product – a gap you can fill.
Step 3: Write The Presell Page
- NOTE: Think of it (and write it) as a sales letter.
- Headline that grabs the reader’s attention.
- Picture of you and the product.
- Explain why you bought the product (the problem you wanted to solve).
- Your experience (opinion) of the product.
- The product’s advantages, and any disadvantages (that can solve with the bonus product).
- Did the product help? Talk about your results, and show some proof (if possible).
- Introduce your bonus product and explain the problem it solves (offer a value if it were sold separately).
- A call to action (buy via my affiliate link).
- If you want to create a time-limited offer, then do so. However, don’t try to trick your readers with false scarcity.
- Spend time on this stage. The presell page must be compelling and must explain the solution that your bonus offers.
- It should be a short page. Make it punchy, concise and quick to read.
- Upload your presell page on your blog.
Step 4: Start Sending Traffic
- Create a short blog post about your bonus offer and link to the presell page.
- Add a promotion to your blog’s sidebar (visible on all pages).
- Send out a short email to your mailing list.
- Update your Twitter profile.
- Update your Facebook fan page.
- Ask people to share your offer with their contacts.
- Create a press release about your offer.
This is a great strategy for selling affiliate products from your blog. It takes some extra work (to create a valuable bonus product and craft the presell page), but most affiliate marketers and bloggers won’t put in the extra effort to do this. This is to your advantage.
If you go the extra mile, you will out compete them and increase your affiliate commissions. You will also gain credibility with your blog readers and subscribers, and enhance your reputation.